Baigan Bharta is basically a north Indian dish popular all over Pakistan and India. Baigan Bharta is made of roasted baigan and other spices giving a distinctive flavour and taste to the dish. Baigan Bharta is a healthy food and as baigan is the main ingredient. In Baigan Bharta the other ingredients added to teh dish are tomatoes, green chillies, and onions which are packed a mighty nutritional punch in one single dish.
Baigan Bharta As A Healthy Dish:
Baigan Bharta is a healthy food and as baigan is the main ingredient is low in fat and sodium and high in dietry fiber, vitamin C and B6, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium.
Baigan Is Capable Of Absorbing Fats:
In Baigan Bharta Baigan is fleshy and has meaty texture. Baigan is capable of absorbing large amounts of cooking fats and sauces allowing for very rich dishes but the salting process will reduce the amount of oil absorbed.
Recipe Of Baigan Bharta:
Preparation time 30-40 minutes
Serves 5-6 people
cooked green peas (optional) – 1/2 – cup
Coriander leaves for garnishing – 0
coriander pdr (optional – tsp – 1/2
cumin pdr (optional) – 1/4 – tsp
Eggplant (medium sized) – 1 – number
Finely chopped onions – 1 1/2 – cup
Garam masala powder – 1/2 – tsp
garlic – 4 – number
oil – 3 – tbsp
Red chilli powder – 1/2 – tsp
Salt – to taste
slit green chilli – 1 – number
Tomato – 1 – number
Turmeric powder – 1//4 – tsp
Instruction For Cooking:
1. Apply some oil to the eggplant. Keep it on a hot griddle tawa in reduced flame or put it in the oven at high heat and bake.
2.Once a side of the eggplant is properly cooked turn it. Likewise cook all the sides. It takes around 10-15 minutes to cook the whole eggplant.
3. Once it is fully cooked, wait for it to cool down and then peel off the skin and mash well.
4. Heat oil in a pan, add garlic ,green chilli and chopped onions and fry over medium flame until light golden brown.
5. Add red chilli powder, garam masala powder and turmeric powder. Stir well and add chopped tomatoes and cook till tender.
6. Now add the mashed eggplant , cooked peas and salt and stir for 5-6 minutes on a medium flame.
7. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
8. Serve hot with chapatis or as a side dish with rice.
Variation In Baigan Bharta:
Baigan Bharta can also be cooked with roasted red peppers, chopped onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots, celery and other spices of your own choice.
Uses Of Baigan Bharta:
Baigan Bharta oftenly served as a side dish at dhabas, restaurants and at home in lunch time. Baigan Bharta goes extremly well with phulkas or with rice, it is also can be served with any breads like chapati, naan, roti or with bajra ki roti.Add to Favourites