Karela Fry also known as bitter melon or bitter gourd is one of the not so preferred vegetable by many especially the kids. They run miles away if the karela is prepared at home. None like it at all but as per ayurveda and many medical practitioners. karela Fry is an amazing dish which has a nice sweet, bitter, sour and little spicy taste. Karela Fry is a quick recipe and delicious too.
Origin Of Karela Fry (Karela) :
Karela Fry (karela) is a tropical and subtropical vine widely grown in Asia, Africa and the Caribbean for its edible fruit, which has a rough, watry skin and is the most bitter among all fruits.
Health Benefits Of Karela Fry:
Karela Fry is supposed to be one of the best vegetable with various essential vitamins and minerals. Karela Fry is also said to be very good for diabetic patients and lowering the cholestrol.
Recipe Of Karela Fry:
Preparation time 40-45 minutes
Serves 5-6 people
Karela 500 gram
Sugar 1 tsp
Red chilli powder 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
Green Chillies 4
Curry Leaves 1/4 bunch
Urad daal 1 tsp
Oil 2 tbsp
Turmeric 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves 1/2 bunch
Instruction For Cooking:
1. Grate bitter melon cut into thin slices transfer into a bowl add salt and turmeric into it and keep it a side.
2. Then mix bitter melon as if you are squeezing them, in this u will able to see excess water squeez them and transfer into another bowl, if you want you can wash with water for 2 times.
3. Take a Pan add oil, ural dal,green chillies,curry leaves, ginger garlic paste saute them for a min.
4. Now add the sliced bitter melon into it and saute them in low flame then add coriander powder,red chili powder saute them again and close it with a lid for 5-10 min.
5. Now remove the lid and saute them and add sugar into it and mix let it fry till the bittermelon changes its colour into golden brown and crispy.
6. Lastly add coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
Variation In Karela Fry:
Karela Fry is also prepared with potatoes and also you can mixed with freshly grated coconut and fried or even added in the popular sambar to make it a healthy and nutritious dish. Karela Fry is prepared in many different variations to suit their taste.
Uses Of Karela Fry:
Karela Fry is best when served with hot tandoori bread, naan, chapati or rice and lentil.Add to Favourites