How Punjabi Kadi Tangy In Taste:
Punjabi Kadi is a dish where pakoras are made and cooked in tangy sour and spicy yogurt sauce thickened with besan flour. A very yummy and lip smacking delicacy. The thing to keep in mind here is that the curd being used should be very sour to get the proper taste of the kadi and the kadi should be cooked for atleast 50-60 minutes at low flame.
Recipe Of Punjabi kadi:
Preparation time 50-60 minutes
Serves 5-6 people
For Besan Pakora:
1/2 cup Besan (gram flour)
1/2 cup finely chopped (or 1 medium) Onion
1 Green Chilli, seeded and finely chopped
A small pinch of Baking Soda
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon Water
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
1 cup sour Curd (yogurt)
1/4 cup Besan (gram flour)
1½ cups Water
1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons Oil
1/4 teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds
1/4 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
1/4 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
1/2 teaspoon grated Ginger
2 Dry Red Kashmiri Chillies
1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
1 tablespoon Coriander Leaves, finelychopped
Instruction For Cooking:
1. Mix gram flour, chopped onion, chopped green chilli, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
2. Heat oil in a small frying pan on medium flame. Take spoonful of batter in between your fingers or in a spoon and carefully drop it in oil. Drop 5-6 pakoras in single batch.
3. Deep fry them until medium brown and crispy. Drain and transfer on plate having kitchen paper napkin on it and keep aside.
4. Follow the same process for remaining batter.
For Making Kadi:
1. Beat curd and gram flour in a bowl with hand beater or blender.
2. Add 1½ cups water, turmeric powder and salt. Blend all ingredients using hand blender until smooth batter. Ensure that there are no lumps.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium size deep pan over medium flame. Add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. When they begin to crackle add cumin seeds and grated ginger; sauté for 20-30 seconds.
4. Add prepared curd-flour batter and mix well.
5. Cook on medium flame until raw smell of gram flour goes away or for approx. 8-10 minutes.
6. Stir occasionally in between to prevent sticking. If mixture becomes very thick, then add 1/2 cup more water and cook for 3-4 minutes. It should have pouring consistency.
7. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small tempering pan on low flame.
8. When oil is medium hot enough, remove tempering pan from flame and add dry red chilli and red chilli powder.
9. Immediately pour it over prepared kadhi.
10. Add deep fried pakoras, mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes. Turn off the flame and garnish it with coriander leaves.
Variation In Punjabi Kadi:
There are many alternatives in Punjabi Kadi, using pakoras like savour it plain and it tastes great and also add blanched spinach to the Kadi. You can also add steamed cauliflowers and also add tender corn or grean peas or potatoes and lastly you can also make your own invention.
Uses Of Punjabi Kadi:
You Can enjoy Punjabi Kadi unparalleled taste with chawal steamed rice or vegetable khichdi and experienced the truly blissful feel of classic Punjabi Kadi.Add to Favourites