This delicacy Sheer Khurma is a must dish that is prepared by the Muslim community on the festive day known as Eid-ul-Fitr after one month long fasting Ramazan. Sheer Khurma is a mouth watering delicacy made with a very fine variety of vermicelli which is cooked in thick milk adding a variety of dry fruits to make it truly rich and divine to taste.
Sheer Khurma Meaning:
Sheer Khurma actually means “milk with dates”. It is also some times known as Sheeer Surma that is sheer means sweet and surma means (farsi language) means dates.
Sheer Khurma Is A Healthy Dish:
In Sheer Khurma we are using dry fruits which are very much healthy for you. Dates are rich in minerals such as calcium, iron and potassium and are full of vitamins like vitamin A, B, and C. Pistachio is also a very high source of Protein, nutrition and energy. Other dry fruits are also very rich in protein, calcium and also very nutritious for health.
Recipe Of Sheer Khurma:
Preparation time 40-50 minutes
Serves 5-6 people
Pistachio 1/2 cup
Sugar 1/2 cup (Or as per taste)
Milk 500 ml
Almonds 1/2 cup
Vermicelli 1 cup
Cashew nuts as required
Raisins as required
Cardamom green 2-3
Instruction For Cooking:
1. Firstly simmer the dry fruits like pistachio, almond, cashew nuts for some time in luke warm water. This helps to remove skin of dry fruits.
2. Now peel the skin and cut the nuts in to thin slices and keep aside.
3. In a heavy bottomed pan, add milk boil and keep aside.
4. Take another pan add ghee in a hot pan and add slices of nuts and all dry fruits and fry them it slightly golden in colour, remove and keep aside.
5. Now add more ghee in a pan now add siwaiyan and roast it fine stirring continiously in a low to medium heat. (do not over cook it or burn them).
6. They need to get slightly roasted and golden in colour, add sugar and milk and do not mix much.
7. Add half of the roasted dry fruits and remaining use for garnishing.
8. Add cardamom seeds and simmer the flame untill it is cooked and slightly thickened.
9. The Sheer Khurma is ready to be served in a bowl top it off with dry fruits and dates and serve chill or hot.
Variation In Sheer Khurma:
Sheer Khurma is already a versatile sweet dish but you can also make it more variable by adding more dry fruits and nuts of your own choice to make it more delicious and you can also add condensed milk for extra richness, flavour and aroma. And also to get an excellant taste use reduced or thickened milk which gives the Sheer Khurma a nice creamy taste and texture.
Uses Of Sheer Khurma:
Sheer Khurma is prepared on the occassion of Eid-ul-Fitr that are distributed among friends and family. Eid would not be complete without Sheer Khurma as this is served in a mutitudinous way.Add to Favourites