Tarka Dal is simple and delicious dish. Tarka means Tempering with ghee, mustard, cumin seeds, and flavoured with onions, garlic, red chillies, green chillies etc. You can put any tempering that you like. You can also add saunf (fennel seeds) and heing to your tempering.
Origin Of Tarka Daal:
Tarka Daal is a North Indian style of preparing lentils. It is also refers in an important part of Pakistani, Indian, Nepali, Srilankan and Bangladeshi cuisine.
Health Benefits Of Tarka Daal:
Daals are a vital ingredients in every days cooking. It is a part of the daily menu. It is not surprising considering that lentils and beans are the primary source of protein specially for the vegetarians.
Recipe Of Tarka Daal:
Preparation time 40-45 minutes
Serves 4-5 people
1/2 cup Toor Dal (arhar dal)
1/4 cup Chana Dal (Bengal gram)
1/4 cup Masoor Dal (red lentils)
1 medium Onion, sliced
1 tablespoon crushed Ginger-Garlic
1 Green Chilli, finely chopped
1 Tomato, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
2½ cups + 1 cup Water
2 teaspoons Ghee or Oil
2 tablespoons chopped Coriander Leaves, for garnishing
1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
2 cloves of Garlic, chopped (optional)
1 Dry Red Chilli, broken into two pieces
A pinch of Asafoetida (hing)
2 teaspoons Ghee
Instruction For Cooking:
1. Rinse toor dal, chana dal and masoor dal in water and add them into 3-5 liter capacity steel or aluminum pressure cooker. Add 2-cups water and salt and pressure cook for 4-whistles over medium flame.
2. Turn off flame and allow the pressure to release naturally. Open the lid and keep the cooked dal aside.
3. Heat 2-teaspoons ghee/oil in a pan. Add sliced onion and sauté until it turns light brown.
4. Add crushed ginger-garlic and chopped green chilli and sauté for 30-40 seconds. Make sure, garlic does not turn dark brown.
5. Add chopped tomato and sauté until it turns soft.
6. Add and mix turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
7. Add cooked dal and mix well.
8. Add 1-cup water and stir to mix. Taste for the seasoning and add salt accordingly.
9. Cook on medium flame until you get the desired consistency of dal or for approx. 5 -6 minutes, stir multiple times in-between. Remove it from flame and transfer into a large serving bowl.
Instruction For Tempering Making:
1. Prepare the tempering by heating 2- teaspoons ghee in a small pan. Add cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle. Add chopped garlic, dry red chillies and asafoetida, mix well and allow garlic to turn light brown.
2. Remove pan from flame and pour prepared tempering over cooked dal in a serving bowl.
3. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice.
Variation In Tarka Daal:
Tarka Daal has many versions as region wise or as per your liking and taste who prepare the daal. You can also add ginger and garlic and amchoor powder to give daal a slight tangy taste.
Uses Of Tarka Daal:
Tarka Daal is oftenly served with boiled rice and also with plain roti or chapatis. Some people like to eat with naan or qulcha.Add to Favourites