Origin of Chana Masala
Chana masala is a flavorful Punjabi dish with lots of ingredients, including onion, garlic clove and lots of spices. It is really famous in different parts of the world, but it is an important part of the Pakistani and northern Indian cuisine. The dish became an important part of the Pakistani cuisine after the migration of Punjabi families to the Pakistan.
Recipe of Chana Masala
- Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
- Serving: 3 to 4 People
- 1 ½ cup chickpeas
- 3 chopped potatoes
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon coriander leaves
- 2 ½ tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon amchur powder (mango powder)
- 1 tablespoon chole masala
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 4 teaspoon clarified butter (ghee)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt or as per your taste
Ingredients for Garnishing
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 green chili
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander
- Slices of lemon
Instructions for Cooking:
- Take cold water and soak the chickpeas overnight in it and to get best results, you can soak them for 24 hours. After soaking the chickpeas for enough time, drain the water and rinse them properly before putting them in the pressure cooker. Add enough water in the pressure cooker to soak all the chickpeas properly. Put 1 tablespoon of salt and bay leaves in the cooker and let the chickpeas to cook in the cooker for almost 20 minutes.
- Take a pan and put 4 tablespoon of ghee or oil into it. Peel and slice the potatoes and fry them in a saucepan with three tablespoon of ghee. Fry potatoes for almost 10 minutes to let them soft and to get golden brown color. After getting desired result, remove the potatoes from the pan.
- Use remaining ghee and fry the coriander leaves, cumin powder and chili powder in the same saucepan. Add the boiled chickpeas in the sauce pan and fry the chickpeas for the 5 minutes to stir them properly with ingredients on a low-to-medium heat.
- After properly mixing chickpeas and other spices, add 1 tablespoon of mango powder, chole masala and black peeper powder and stir all the ingredients together.
- It is time to add sliced potatoes and tomatoes in the pan and let all the ingredients to cook for at least 2 minutes. The chana masla is ready, place it on the plate, garnish with chopped green coriander, lemon, green chili and tomato slices before serving with bhatooras, puris or rise.
Variations in the Chana Masala
Aloo chole is a tasty variation of the chana masala, and in Lahore the dish is called “murgh cholay”. It is a popular dish prepared with chicken and chickpeas and taken in the breakfast. In some area of Pakistan, anardana is also added in the chana masala.
Uses of Chana Masala
Chana Masala and Murgh Cholay is a traditional breakfast of Lahore. The chana masala can be taken with yogurt, rice, pholka, naan, pathooras and puri.Add to Favourites