Gajar Ka Halwa, also known as Carrot Halwa or Gajar Ka Gajerela. Gajar Ka Halwa is a famous dessert which is a favourite dish in Northern India and Pakistan. Gajar (Carrot) is the main ingredient of this dish.
Origin Of Gajar Ka Halwa:
Gajar Ka Halwa was first introduced during the Mughal period but Gajar Ka Halwa is strongly associated with Punjab. The name originates from an Arabic word “halwa” which means “sweet”. This old traditional recipe being a combination of milk and carrots and in the other case the combination of cream or mava (khoya).
Recipe Of Gajar Ka Halwa:
Cooking time: 2 hours
Serving: 3 to 4
Ingredients: (Gajar Ka Halwa)
Carrots shredded 1 kg
Sugar 1 cup or As required
Small Cardamom seeds 6-8
Ghee 1/2 cup
Khoya 1/2 kg
Kewra water 1 tbsp
Powdered milk 1/4 cup
Ingredients For Garnishing: (Gajar Ka Halwa)
Pistachios (chopped and blanched) 3 tbsp
Almonds (chopped and blanched) 3 tbsp
Raisins 2 tbsp
Silver paper (chandi ka warq) 1-2
Instructions For Cooking: (Gajar Ka Halwa)
1. Take grater and then grate all carrots finely.
2. Take a pot and put all grated carrots in a pot on low heat along with the cardamom seeds.
3. Then they become soft and all the water dries up add sugar and again leave on low heat for the water to dry.
4. Now remove the lid and add ghee and stirr it continuously when ghee comes up to the carrots and carrots colour start changing then now add khoya in it and continiously stirr.
5. Then add powdered milk in it and continuously stirr on high heat untill the water dries.
6. Once all water dries and ghee becomes over the carrots then add pistachios, almonds, and raisins.
7. Just before removing from heat when Gajar ka halwa is done then add kewra water.
8. Now put in the serving dish and garnish it with pistachios, almonds, khoya and silver paper.
9. Serve hot.
Variations In Gajar Ka Halwa:
There are many variations of Gajar Ka Halwa in India, Pakistan and other parts of the world. It traditionally includes sugar but its non-sugar variation is also available. Another variation of Gajar Ka Halwa is ‘Red Velvet Halwa’. Main ingredients of this dish are carrots, milk, sugar and ghee.
Uses Of Gajar Ka Halwa:
Gajar Ka Halwa is traditionally eaten during all the festivals and is served hot during the winter.Add to Favourites